Sunday, October 11, 2009

Poetry I Wrote

These are two of my poems. One was written for my dad when he passed away, the other was written for my grandfather when HE passed away.

An Ode To My Father

You were the one who kept us calm, in all our moments of chaos.
You were the one who shared our joys when we were having fun.
You were the one who shared our sorrows when the day was down.

Through all those times, through thick and thin, you kept us level headed.
So tell me, father, why oh why, did you have to go and die?
Why the heck did the doctor have the screw up?

So many unanswered questions.
We need you more than they do in heaven,

There are so many things we will miss--
--your stories
--your jokes
but most of all, you.

As I write this, I try not to cry
but I just cant help but wonder yet again, why did you have to go and die?

Daddy we all miss you, me most of all,
as Ive said before, you were always there to pick me up after I had taken a fall.

This poem is not the greatest, but I guess it will have to do,
but there were so many more things I wanted to say to you,

You were here, and then you were gone, but inside all of us your spirit will live on,

And yet again, we will always wonder, why, why, why, did you have to go and die?


POPPI'S POEM


In these albums we have pictures
of our grandpa
and our family
many memories through the decades
all together in these books.

There are birthdays, and there's Christmas
Easter dinners, Halloween
And the family all together
for all these things.

We've had parties
for graduation
and there's pictures from the prom
Special occasions
such as weddings
and all the births

There is Poppi
looking handsome
very refined in a dress up suit
always looking his best

He is smiling
and hes laughing
over stories as we eat
doesn't say much, always quiet
let's everyone be

After dinner there is tv
and dessert which is the best
Poppi's favorite
always ice cream
which he loved to eat

He had an old car
that he adored
It was faithful,
like a friend
Pontiac Parisienne

He would drive us
many places
to the store and
to the Cape

Always enjoyed
his vacations
And those times they
were the best

He was a trucker
as his career
carefully driving everywhere
loved his job til he retired
after 32 years of service

He'd support us
in our interests
choir concerts, marching band
dance recitals and cheerleading
he always was our biggest fan

Spending summers
at our parades
Cold root beer in his hand
Never complaining
about the weather
Cheering loudly
every year

He would enjoy seeing movies,
watching tv
in his chair
Lawrence Welk on
every weekend
Simple pleasures,
simple man

There is Poppi
in his wheelchair
still quiet, listening
offering wisdom with a smile
as we talk about our days

He loved his family
grandpa, father, uncle, friend
visited his sister
twice weekly
faithful brother to the end.

Wonderful person,
we all loved him
now he sleeps so peacefully
Watching his loved ones
from heaven
R.I.P...

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    Your poetry is so beautifully written. You have a special gift of saying how you feel in a poetic verse.
    It means alot to the family to hear these words about our family members who have gone on to heaven. Your Dad is now with my Dad and with your Poppi, my Dad's brother. This is life, which brings us sorrow but the hope of meeting again.

    ReplyDelete