Monday, May 30, 2011

NYC 3.31-4.3.11

This was my mom's birthday in NYC weekend! We had such a busy weekend! We came in on March 31, Thursday morning, and we checked into our hotel--2 blocks away from Times Square!! Our plan for the day was to relax, and then grab food at Carmine's, which was enough food for 4 people to share! We had penne and meatballs, and we made that food last 3 days!!
After Carmine's, we headed to our first show, My Big Gay Italian Wedding. It was an off-Broadway show, and it was promised to be hysterical! I enjoyed the show, but I think they could have cut out a huge chunk of it. It was very Jersey Shore reminiscent. Fun, but very Tony and Maria's Italian Wedding, which I have seen on dinner shows.


Then it was Friday, April 1. We got up early and hopped on the subway to go to the NY Aquarium. It was right next to Coney Island, so it was about a 45 minute subway ride. It was a rainy day, but most of the aquarium was indoors, so that was no problem! It was a nice aquarium, I enjoyed seeing the animals, especially the jellyfish!






At night we went to see Sister Act the Musical. All I have to say is, "Take Me To Heaven!" It was an amazing show, songs are up beat 70's/80's style songs, and it makes you want to get up out of your seat and dance!! For those who need a refresher, Sister Act is a movie starring Whoopi Goldberg as Deloris Van Cartier, a lounge singer in Vegas who gets in a pickle when she learns her boyfriend has murdered someone. Now they are looking for her! For her safety, she is placed in a convent and dressed as a nun to partake in daily nun activities so she can lay low awhile. Deloris is not great at laying low, and soon becomes the choir director, leading the other sisters in song and making a name for the church. Such a big name, that the church is headlining everywhere, and gives her ex boyfriend clues where to find her, and track her down. Eventually, the sisters band together to help Deloris, and she stays safe and her boyfriend and his goons end up going to jail.

Cast:
Deloris Van Cartier-Patina MIller
Michelle-Rashidra Scott
Tina-Alena Watters
Curtis Jackson-Kingsley Leggs
Joey-John Treacy Egan
Pablo-Ceasar Samayoa
TJ-Desmond Green
Eddie Souther-Chester Gregory
Mother Superior-Victoria Clark
Monsignor O Hara-Fred Applegate
Mary Robert-Marla Mindelle
Mary Patrick-Sarah Bolt
Mary Lazarus-Audrie Neenan

Fantastic show, I can definitely see why this one got a Best Musical Tony Nom!
I didn't stage door, it was raining too hard!




Saturday April 2, we had a busy busy day! We went to the Central Park Zoo, which I had never been to before and LOVED!! It was sunny today, finally! So it was nice to walk around outside! It was almost magical, being in the zoo in the middle of a giant city! You could ALMOST forget you were in a city! I loved the polar bears, they were my favorite!









After the Central Park Zoo, my mom went to see Phantom Of The Opera as her matinee, and I headed to my first Broadway PLAY, Lombardi. (For those who are confused and think I always see plays, I do not! I see MUSICALS. Musicals are not plays. Plays do not have music in them, and musicals do. So, 2 different animals!)
It was at the Circle in the Square Theatre, which I had never been in and liked. Small theatre, but it worked for this show!

It was the story of Vince Lombardi, Packers Football Coach.

Cast:
Vincent Lombardi-Dan Lauria
Michael McCormick-Keith Nobbs
Marie Lombardi-Judith Light
Dave Robinson-Robert Christopher Riley
Paul Hornung-Bill Dawes
Jim Taylor-Chris Sullivan

Did not stage door for this one as I could not find the Stage Door!



After Lombardi, we ended up going to Shake Shack and bringing back yummy burgers and shakes to our room! SOOO good!


Then we got ready for our evening show, Catch Me If You Can, The movie-turned-musical about Frank Abergnale, Jr, the con man! This show was another phenomenal show! The music was real Broadway, as were the sets! It was perfect! Another show I can see why it got a Tony nom! I did get to stage door for this show! I met Tom Wopat, Kerry Butler, and Aaron Tveit!

Cast:
Frank Abergnale Jr-Aaron Tveit
Agent Branton-Joe Cassidy
Agent Dollar-Brandon Wardell
Agent Carl Hanratty-Norbert Leo Butz
Agent Cod-Timothy McCuen Piggee
Frank Abergnale Sr-Tom Wopat
Paula Abergnale-Rachel de Benedet
Cheryl Ann-Rachelle Rak
Brenda Strong-Kerry Butler
Roger Strong-Nick Wyman
Carol Strong-Linda Hart




After the show, we stopped at Famiglia for Pizza! Such good pizza!!

Sunday we went to the Pompeii Exhibit at Discovery Center Times Square. It was a great exhibit, showed all artifacts from Pompeii, which was cool because I had been to Pompeii and it was nice to see! After that we went to Sardi's, and had dessert. I loved Sardi's! I had never been! I got some pictures of caricatures.




After that it was time to get our bus and go back home. What a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. "I did not stage door as I could not find the stage door" haha. We still cannot find it!
    I want to try the shake shack.
    Love CMIYC!!!!!
    Tom Wopat went riding off on his bike after stage dooring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know right! I am gunna get on that and start looking!

    Yesss! Shake Shack next time!

    I love CMIYC also!!

    Haha did he? Nice!! I love when they are like us and walk or ride bikes instead of taking a limo!

    ReplyDelete