Friday, September 3, 2010

Addams Family Musical

So on April 24, Kristin and I went on a Barrington Community School bus trip to NYC to see the Addams Family Musical! I was excited to see it, as I have always loved the Addams Family! It was a great show! The songs were catchy, and I was laughing the entire time! We had great seats, and it was Original Broadway Cast that we saw. I honestly believe this show got the shaft, not winning any Tony Awards. I think the cast worked well as a group, and the dancing was awesome too! I thought Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth should have been nominated for Best Actor(ress) in a Musical, with Krysta Roodriguez for Best Supporting Actress. But I digress.

Synopsis: Wednesday is all grown up at age 18, and has found true love. The only problem? He is the complete opposite of what the Addams family are! As the Addams Family and The Bieneke Family prepare to meet for the first time, a series of strange events occur throughout the night, events that would only happen in the home of the Addams Family! At the end, all is well, and Wednesday and Lucas are free to marry.

Cast: (First Billed)

Gomez Addams: Nathan Lane
Morticia Addams: Bebe Neuwirth
Uncle Fester: Kevin Chamberlin
Grandma: Jackie Hoffman
Wednesday Addams: Krysta Rodriguez
Pugsley Addams: Adam Riegler
Lurch: Zachary James

Mal Beineke: Terrence Mann
Alice Beineke: Carolee Carmello
Lucas Beineke: Wesley Taylor

Nathan Lane: Awesome Gomez! I was thrilled to see the incredible Nathan Lane in this role, I have been a HUGE fan of his for years, so this was thrilling for me! No one could have done it better!
Bebe Neuwirth: She was a good Morticia, she was sultry and dry humored but it fit the role well!
Kevin Chamberlin: Great Actor! Was a perfect Fester! He was funny and provided humor to the show.
Jackie Hoffman: HYSTERICAL as grandma! She was wonderful!
Krysta Rodriguez: I just love her, I was excited to see her also, as this was the first role I had gotten to see her in! She was great! Wonderful voice, can't wait to see what the future brings her!
Adam Riegler: Cute Pugsley! He was great! Also look forward to his future shows!
Lurch: Ok, first, I have to say that Zach James is HOT! The makeup the put on him to make him look like Lurch is a total transformation! he was great as Lurch though!
Terrence Mann: The character he was playing was a neurotic father. He did a great job!
Carolee Carmello: What a set of chops on her! Playing the sexually-deprived Alice, I honestly think she stole the show with the song she sang after she drank the acrimonium! That is one of my favorite songs in the show, actually!
Lucas Beineke: Also was excited to see him, and he played the part of Wednesday's boyfriend extremely well! He loved Wednesday and wasn't afraid to show it, his acting was great!

Over all, I would recommend this show. I was disappointed by two things: It was still relatively new, so no soundtracks or programs were available for purchase, and Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth didn't come out to the stage door. I was hoping to get a pic with Nathan!

But the show was hysterical, and definitely shafted for a Tony! (Nathan, Bebe, and the rest of the cast--I loved you guys!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Jackie Hoffman's video blog on Broadway.com? Hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I have to check that out! She is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete