Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mother-Daughter Weekend

So April 30-May 2 was a mother-daughter weekend in NYC! My mom and I went with my friend Kristin and her mom and stayed overnight in the city!

We were supposed to stay on 39th st at the hotel there, but that hotel ended up having pipes burst the day before we were supposed to go, and they moved us to a sister hotel in Long Island City, so we were farther away from the theatre district.
We got to the city and went to Macy's, and ate at Tad's Steakhouse(a favorite of my mom's and mine!) From there we walked to the King Tut exhibit at Times Square Discovery Center. It was an AWESOME exhibit! 13 rooms of artifacts, and videos, and posters! I think the jewelry and the containers and espohagus' were my favorite! After that, we went to our hotel and got ready for our first show! Kristin and I saw Next To Normal, and our moms saw Chicago. After the show, Kristin and I stage doored and got autographs and pictures with the cast! (Including Kyle Dean Massey, and J Robert Spencer!) We also picked up some Junior's Cheesecake to take back to the hotel(Red Velvet for me!)

On Saturday, we got up early to get to the city so we could go to Wicked: Behind the Emerald Curtain. This was a behind the scenes tour of Wicked where we got to meet two cast members(Anthony Galde and Sean McCourt) and see the original costumes that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth and Joel Gray wore, as well as how wigs are made and various props and how the staging works. After that, we walked over to Central Park and had gelato! Then we prepared for our shows. Kristin and our moms went to see Mary Poppins, and I saw In The Heights. I also stage doored and got pics with Corbin Bleu and Christopher Jackson! We were going to go back to the hotel but ended up at the Hershey Store and M&M World and ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner. We never made it back to the hotel, because when we were done with Ellen's we decided it wasn't worth it to go all the way back! We walked over for our final show, La Cage Aux Folles. After La Cage Aux Folles, We stage doored and I got my picture with Kelsey Grammer and the adorable Robin de Jesus!

After that, we headed back to our subway for the hotel, and we were barricaded at 45th St and could go no further. This was the night of the SUV bomb in Times Square! We had heard the sirens all night during the show but didn't think anything of it! We went to a cafe to figure out if we should take the subway or a taxi. At the cafe, a crazy guy came upstairs and stared at me, took his belt off and threw it at me, cursing! We decided a taxi NOW would be good!

Sunday, our last day in the city! :( No shows today, but we went to the Museum of Natural History, which I was kinda disappointed in! The dinosaur bones and gems were nice, but the ocean room didn't impress me as it was taxidermied animals and nothing hands on. I thought it was going to be more like a science museum I guess!

After that we got back on our bus and went home!

Stay tuned for blogs of the shows!

2 comments:

  1. Great weekend except for the bomb scare and the belt thing. That guy was probably on heroin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I wouldn't be surprised! lol He was nuts!

    ReplyDelete